First and foremost, I'm going to thank all these people for making this birthday such an awesome and special one. In no order: Si Jie, Sam, Ranald, Dennis, Jeshua, Zen, Kimberly, Hui Jun, Xin Wei, Yan Kay, Yen Ling, Vignesh, Jie Ying, Jing Jing, Cheryl, Kit Yin, Zi Ning, Ruo Yi, Beatrix, Joanna, Kimberly Tan, Kimberly Lum, Fang Ni, Si Hong, Daniel, my cousins, family and everyone else who was there at chalet (:
It's been quite a while since I've been on Facebook and people are constantly being
bombarded reminded with the respective birthdays. While I fully appreciate it when someone takes the time to leave even the shortest birthday note, those who make a point to remember and to take note of such special dates always come across as the most sincere to me. So this year, I removed the birthday reminder from facebook; surprisingly, those people aforementioned remembered. Some even went to the extent of organising surprises for me which made me really touched.
Surprise 01: Monday afternoon, Lunchtime
The girls (Zi Ning, Ruo Yi, Beatrix, Joanna, Kim Tan, Kim Lum) got me a small chocolate cake. To make sure I didn't see it, they waited for me to go queue up for food before setting up hurriedly, after which they went to get their own lunch, seeing that the Haw's Kitchen stall has the typically super ultra long queue which takes a pretty long time. However, when they saw me run out of patience and switch to another stall, they ditched their queues respectively and quickly rushed back so as to light the candles (and basically be there la). Like LOL, so cute!
Chocolate cake from the girls! (:
Surprise 02: Monday night, after dinner
Si Jie accidentally said something along the lines of "whoa, I pok kai already, after paying for the cake" when paying Xin Wei for the chalet earlier in the afternoon but that didn't reveal the whole surprise. I had thought that they were just going to have an ultra simple get a cake, sing a birthday song kind of surprise that the girls did. (After all, hello, they're computer science geeks. Sometimes, stereotypes and clichés aren't that far from reality) But in fact, this was what they (Si Jie, Sam, Ranald, Dennis, Jeshua, Zen, Kimberly, Hui Jun, Xin Wei, Yan Kay, Yen Ling, Vignesh) did: first, they passed me a post with a post-it on it saying "Sorry, I ate your cake :)" which contained a polar cake box with the (damn cute) white seal
("of approval") stuffed inside. (By the way, I have no idea how they did it; I tried to place the seal back into the box afterwards but it just stubbornly refused to fit.) Next, they brought out a Pandan Cake with a (supposedly rose scented) fragrance candle (in a glass container of course) stuffed in the hole in the middle and sang me a birthday song. Oh goodness, I took like three or four tries before being able to blow out the candles finally. Just when I was fussing over the ways to cut the pandan cake (and super touched already), they brought in another proper black forest cake and sang me another birthday song. Yes, I was that surprised and touched at the extent to which they went to plan t____t
The only glam-ish chalet photo
Blackforest cake at home! :D
Other awesome things that happened: My family bought me a black forest cake too on Sunday night (: My mum even waited for it to be 2+ before she said happy birthday just because I was born at 2+; and my dad even made a point to call me, apologise for having to come home late because of work and wishing me happy birthday. Then, there was CCA chalet was on Monday night, which was super fun because I got to really interact with the juniors (yes I know more of their names now) even though quite a number who indicated attendance didn't turn up in the end. We watched Suria, played cards, had dinner (Macs! Jun Yi had the unfortunate forfeit of taking orders and buying food. Sadly my McSpicy burger never appeared although I still managed to find my iced Milo), had the surprise, trolled the juniors with a "exco interview", played Shoot, Shack, Marry and Truth or Dare together, had a movie marathon, fell asleep, woke up, had breakfast (at Macs again - claimed my free premium coffee that came with the alarm that loudly and awkwardly rang in class on monday morning, which I thought was some lizard calling and started looking for the lizard, only to realise like half a minute later that it was my phone) and went to play pool. Something else that made an impression during the chalet: one of the guys, Zen, was super nice; he passed me the pillow and pulled the blanket over me properly when he saw that I was falling asleep at night. (See, the guys aren't that bad and weird after all. ) In the afternoon, I went out with Jie Ying for lunch at Fish&Co. at 313 Somerset after chalet on Tuesday afternoon, before going for french class. (#studentmeal #cheapos #broke #fishandchips #fries #fat #goingtofailNAPFA Ok, I don't know what's with those hashtags, whoops). Yupps and I crashed at 9 on tuesday night. Apparently age has caught up, sleeping two hours a day is no longer enough.
This should be it although I'll still be going out for birthday meals with friends over the next few weeks. Ok I'm sorry this became a partial cca chalet post but I can't help it since they are so close and both were that awesome. (: I'm so thankful for this birthday,thankful that I'm 18
and thus legal to get drinks and for al the good things I've seen in the people around me, that has definitely made me want to be better than who I am today.