CHEONGYILEI
Me, I don't eat (most of) my veggies. I enjoy air-conditioners on humid mornings, ice-creams on cold evenings and sleeping on rainy nights. I'm a dreamer and a kpop lover. I like dark red roses and bright yellow sunflowers, but I hate artificial flowers. I like travelling and daydreaming a lot better than annotating literature texts though I like libraries, bookstores and thick a4-sized notebooks. I think its fun to scribble stuff - words, quotes, pictures, symbols - in my notebooks. I have a tendency of writing notes on foolscap and losing them ): Oh, I think I want to dye my hair red when I grow up. And and and, I think its pretty fun writing this.
Δ Liar Game
21 December 2014, 20:03
Like you didn't know you'd get hooked onto the show for the whole day again
“Everyone wears a mask. Good, evil, compassion, conscience, justice. Names of these masks. From time to time, we mistake those masks to be our real selves. But here, without any exception, we take off all those masks. Your true self, looking at this money… what would it be?”
I just spent the day watching Liar Game, which is a kdrama adapted from a japanese manga. (Apparently there is a season 2, I can't wait for it!) That was such a mentally stimulating drama. Thanks math, probability and P&C actually came in useful. During each stage throughout the game, I gave some thought about how the problem could be solved to win the game. (But I obviously didn't come to any feasible conclusion.) Thus, I was really mindblown watching Kang Do Young and Ha Woo Jin battle it out. Those brains, oh my. Anyway, it's a welcome change to watch a show without romance. I really liked how they interlaced the two main themes of greed and trust together, as well as how they gradually blurred the lines between the game show and the reality. I appreciate how the drama generally does not feed you answers on the questions linked to these concepts. Along with its complex twists and turns, the plot ensures that the audience is kept thinking and the final answer that was provided at the end struck me more as a general conclusion than a typical "henceforth, the moral of the story is blah" scenario. Moreover, the way in which they handled the bad guy character was pretty impressive, as in the whole story is built the character's background and I felt like I had to requestion if the bad guy's wrongdoings were really that unforgiveable given that he fell victim to the ethically questionable Walden Two Experiment. It's not the typical situation where you just hope the bad guy falls on his face and dies but one where you wonder if there is a space for redemption and closure I guess.
Cinematography was pretty ok (though not better than that in Heartless City since the latter used a more colourful palette). But oh my, have you watched the opening clip above. It's so good, the characters looked so so so cool. I think my OCD-ness really really really appreciated the symmetry. :D