
CHEONGYILEI
Me, I don't eat (most of) my veggies. I enjoy air-conditioners on humid mornings, ice-creams on cold evenings and sleeping on rainy nights. I'm a dreamer and a kpop lover. I like dark red roses and bright yellow sunflowers, but I hate artificial flowers. I like travelling and daydreaming a lot better than annotating literature texts though I like libraries, bookstores and thick a4-sized notebooks. I think its fun to scribble stuff - words, quotes, pictures, symbols - in my notebooks. I have a tendency of writing notes on foolscap and losing them ): Oh, I think I want to dye my hair red when I grow up. And and and, I think its pretty fun writing this.
Δ Wherever life takes you
16 May 2015, 10:07
Sometimes it just takes seemingly pivotal events like university choices to teach you life lessons. For me at least, it really did. After what seemed like lightyears of contemplation, I have finally decided to stay at sutd. Initially, I was somewhat biased against the school because it failed to impress in many ways. The students, to me, just weren't outspoken enough in general. They just didn't strike me as outstanding and I was afraid that I would just become like one of them. I wanted to retain the image of being both a brilliant thinker and an eloquent speaker typical of Rafflesians. But after spending much time pondering over everything, I guess I eventually came to a conclusion that some things are really less important than we think it is.
I asked myself many questions. If I really believed in the paper chase, then would the bachelor's degree would sufficient? Would I want to be a small fish in a medium-large pond, or a big fish in a small pond? What mattered more: what was offered or what I made out of what was offered? I thought hard and I reflected on my past experiences. As I so often do, I went back to my experience of learning french. In retrospect, I didn't even know what the syllabus was or how the culture behind the language was. It was a last minute decision to apply for French over Japanese. I didn't give my choice much thought, but what I did, was to make the most out of my choice. Similarly, whichever institution I go will each offer me a good dose of opportunities, albeit each in its own fashion. The choice of instution then, simply boils down to a question of how many carrots they dangled before me.
I guess the moral of the story at the end of the day is that, sometimes, overthinking does little help. The wonder and beauty of life is perhaps having you to follow it into the unknown future and embrace whatever comes in your way.
I should post a little on my hectic week at sutd but homework!!!!! I'll provide updates on it a little later! (: