
CHEONGYILEI
Me, I don't eat (most of) my veggies. I enjoy air-conditioners on humid mornings, ice-creams on cold evenings and sleeping on rainy nights. I'm a dreamer and a kpop lover. I like dark red roses and bright yellow sunflowers, but I hate artificial flowers. I like travelling and daydreaming a lot better than annotating literature texts though I like libraries, bookstores and thick a4-sized notebooks. I think its fun to scribble stuff - words, quotes, pictures, symbols - in my notebooks. I have a tendency of writing notes on foolscap and losing them ): Oh, I think I want to dye my hair red when I grow up. And and and, I think its pretty fun writing this.
Δ Musings from the toilet bowl
03 November 2015, 16:38
See, it's times like this where I get to reaffirm my love for HASS. Whoever thought humanities and etc was boring, please take on the challenge of this badass we call HASS.
So we talked about Adam Smith today in class, and I really subscribed to the idea of self interest? Like how even the concept of sympathy, to me, is simply a tool for self interest. It is only because one is able to project the possible consequences that one is able to self-gratify through the act of "benevolence". When I was talking about it with my friend after class, she disagreed with it. What surprised her even more was my acceptance of myself being driven by self-interest and my own recognition of how this can translate into selfishness at times.
But this got me wondering: is self interest necessarily selfishness? The negative connotation that the term possesses bothers me. From another perspective, it seems as though self interest is an instinct and a prerequisite for the idea of a self, an individual.
Idk la. Let me take a fifteen minutes break.