I realised that of all the things I write about, I don't really write about dramas because they're mostly there to kill time and to feed the rubbish in me. I think I've only written about Witch Yoo Hee (one of my first kdramas?), Liar Game (ok I really love this one hands down still) and Cruel City (because I was suffering the aftermaths of not having another drama like Liar Game) I think? There isn't any other that I really write about. Now, congratulations, there's going to be another drama that will join Liar Game in the All-Time-Fave-I-can-watch-this-a-million-times-and-I-will-still-love-this List. (drumrolls please) "Le vent se lève. Il faut tenter de vivre!", it's Kill Me, Heal Me.
Maybe it's because I went into the drama thinking it was another rom-com or Hyde, Jekyll and Me version 2 and came out realising its a whole other crazy thing, or maybe it's because the storyline resonated with the shit that I'm facing now (thankfully I'm not anywhere near D.I.D. yet), Kill Me Heal Me as a story really made me feel, think and reflect a lot.
Ok, so in 50 words, Kill Me, Heal Me is about this chaebol with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personalities Disorder) and he has like seven personalities?
1. Cha Do Hyun (ohimself, normal nice guy, originally named Cha Joon Young)
2. Shin Se Gi (violent, bad boy style)
3. Perry Park (craves for freedom - and alcohol and a Perry Park boat-, handmade bomb specialist, think Thai-styled dude)
4. Ahn Yo Sub (suicidal but genius like 17 years old kid, great artistic flair, name from Do Hyun's high flying high school mate who committed suicide and caused a hoo-ha, Yo Na's twin brother)
5. Ahn Yo Na (the girl that doesn't bear grudges, loves Oh Ri Gin's bro)
6. Cha Do Hyun & Nana (basically Oh Ri Gin -originally named Cha Do Hyun - and her bear Nana)
7. Mr X. (Oh Ri Gin's dad)
And this disorder was caused by traumatic incidents in the past. Basically dad has son with second wife, wife has a daughter born out of wedlock, grandfather only approves of daughter legally though both are allowed to live in the mansion. Dad abuses daughter. After a fire incident, adoptive mum takes daughter away, son with no legal status uses the daughter's name and becomes legit chaebol heir, but with disorder. Now both son and daughter meet as strangers and yay, they fall in love, heal each other's wounds and they live happily ever after. (Not like that's the important part.)
The part that really touched me was how each personality was portrayed. They were essentially parts of the same person but yet segregated. It's so sad that it's a disorder but the Oh Ri Gin's oppa had to add in a dose of wisdom and remind us of how this reality lies in everyone's lives. To a visiting relative, you're the umchindal; to your friend, you're a crazy ass; to your employer, you're a hardworking worker and to your colleague, you're a bitching partner in crime. This seamless transition between characters, when taken to another level are regarded as a disorder, becomes a monster. But the drama and the female lead, in its own light-hearted way. helped remind us that these personalities were very much human. The drama didn't let you fall in love with Cha Do Hyun, but with Cha Do Hyun and every of his six personalities. And that was also how the disorder was cured, by understanding the needs of each part within the self.
(personal bias towards shin se gi and yo sub, especially yo sub. He's the one that said thank you first, the most logical one, the one to first calmly understand that his presence is no longer required, the one who essentially gave the drama its name and all its quotes of the century but the one with few memorable scenes. Se Gi was, on the other hand, the most reluctant to leave. But with good reasons. He's the most wounded piece, the piece that didnt quite fit anywhere, but he was the piece whose a gift couldn't be bought with money. In many ways, Se Gi was simply Do Hyun and vice versa. )
Ok ya, idk just go watch it. The show is seriously daebak. (The first/main song of the ost is damn good too. ) Prepare some tissues for the last few episodes, there I warned you. After the show, give yourself a hug, you're awesome for all the you's in you. (: